Shoreline, Edmonds, and Seattle, WA
Every hour, one American dies of oral cancer. This disease is easily treatable if caught early on. In fact, the survival rate greatly increases the earlier the disease is detected. The longer you wait to treat your oral cancer, the lower your chance of survival. This is one more reason to follow through with your regular dental checkups and cleanings twice a year.
During your routine visits, Drs Hoag and Dotsch will perform a detailed oral cancer screening. If oral cancer is detected by either Dr. Hoag or Dr. Dotsch a personalized treatment plan will be developed for you. Sometimes, a biopsy of a suspicious area is necessary to confirm whether or not a patient has oral cancer.
Warning signs of oral cancer include:
- Sores that bleed easily and frequently
- Sores or lacerations that do not seem to heal
- Color changes of the soft tissue within the mouth
- Unexplained lumps, specifically under the tongue and on your cheeks
- Thick or rough patches of the soft tissue
- Areas that appear crusted or eroded
- Any pain, tenderness, or numbness of the mouth or lips
Since noticeable symptoms appear during the later stages of oral cancer, do not wait to see Dr. Hoag or Dr. Dotsch if you experience any signs of the disease. Prevention of oral cancer is ideal.
Many factors increase one’s risk of developing oral cancer including:
- Use of tobacco
- Excessive drinking
- Cheek or lip biting
- Excessive exposure to ultraviolet light or sunlight
Anyone at a higher risk of developing oral cancer should receive their routine dental checkup and cleaning. An oral cancer screening could help save your life and the earlier it is detected, the better.
To schedule your next dental checkup, and cleaning, which includes an oral cancer screening, contact the office of Dr. Hoag and Dr. Dotsch today! We welcome patients of Shoreline, Edmonds and Seattle, WA.